2020 Writing Contest Rules
Lewis County Writers Guild, Lewis County, Washington
(Modified July 1, 2020 due to COVID-19)
Stories must be submitted using the form below.
Entries must be no more than 3,500 words, excluding the title.
Multiple entries are welcome.
Write a story using one of the three photo prompts below. On the entry form, click on the title of the photo you choose.
All entries must be previously unpublished, and adhere to our Terms and Conditions set out below.
Submissions open at 12:01 a.m. PDT on February 28, 2020, and must be received by 11:59 p.m. PDT, August 24, 2020.
Payments received through PayPal must be sent no later than 11:59 p.m. PDT on August 25, 2020. If you are mailing in the payment, it must be postmarked by August 24, 2020.
$10 per story. Enter as many times as you would like. The fee will be donated to The Lewis County Writers Guild – Doyle McKim Legacy Annual Scholarship to support students at Centralia College.
Pay with Paypal by clicking on the button below. If you wish to send a check separately, send it to: Lewis County Writers Guild, 159 Skinner Road, Chehalis, WA 98532. Write 2020 Writer’s Contest on the check.
(Prize amounts have changed and previous non-monetary prizes have been removed since the 2020 Southwest Washington Writers Conference has been canceled.)
One Grand Prize of $200 will be awarded to the best overall story. The winner of the grand prize is not eligible for the other prizes.
One First Prize of $75 will be given to the winning story for each photo prompt (3 First Prizes). The winner of the first prize for each photo cannot also win the honorable mention for that photo.
One Honorable Mention of $25 will be given to the second-place winning story for each photo prompt (3 Honorable Mentions). The winner of the honorable mention for each photo cannot also win the first prize for that photo.
Blind judging will be done by four members of the Lewis County Writers Guild. Winners will be notified on September 15, 2020, by email or letter.
Contest winners will be announced on the Lewis County Writers Guild Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/LCWritersGuild/) and website (https://lewiscountywriters.wordpress.com/) by September 15, 2020.
Terms and Conditions:
- Each story must be based on one of the three photo prompts. Stories must not exceed an R rating.
- Submissions are limited to 3,500 words or fewer. Submissions of over 3,500 words will be disqualified, and entry fees will not be refunded. The title and author’s name do not count toward the word limit.
- All submissions must be made using the official 2020 LCWG Short Story Award Entry Form found on this page during the contest’s open period.
- Each story must be the original and unpublished work of the submitting Work is considered published if it has appeared in whole or in part anywhere in print or online.
- Authors must be 16 years of age or older. Proof of eligibility will be required for all prize winners.
- All entries must be in the English language.
- Each story must be pasted into the form below. Each paragraph must be separated from the previous paragraph by a line space. Scene breaks can be indicated by using ###.
- Stories are judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript(s). Please include your story’s title in the subject line of the submission form. Your name, full address, phone, email address, and photo prompt title must appear in the appropriate blocks on the submission form.
- All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on August 24, 2020. Submissions received after the deadline will not be opened. We reserve the right to extend this deadline if an insufficient number of entries are received by the original deadline.
- Multiple submissions by the same author are permitted, but each story must be submitted separately.
- An entry fee of $10 is required for each entry. The fee will be donated to The Lewis County Writers Guild – Doyle McKim Legacy Annual Scholarship to support students at Centralia College. It is payable using the PayPal “Buy Now” link below. Your name and email address must be included with your payment to ensure proper credit. You do not need a PayPal account to use PayPal for this purpose. Payment must be received by midnight (PDT) on August 25, 2020. Payments received after the deadline will be returned minus PayPal fees. If mailing in your entry, write a check to “Lewis County Writers Guild.” and send it to 159 Skinner Road, Chehalis, WA 98532.
- If we receive fewer PayPal payments than story submissions from the same author, we will apply the payment(s) received to the first story or stories received.
- By entering this competition, the author agrees to abide by these Terms and Conditions. Any violation of these rules will result in disqualification.
- Everyone 16 years or older is eligible to enter, excluding the four Lewis County Writers Guild judges.
- By submitting to the Short Story Award competition, you certify that the work is solely your own, original work, is unpublished in any other electronic or print format, does not encroach on any trademark or copyright, and does not libel or defame any entity living or dead. You will indemnify and hold the Lewis County Writers Guild harmless from any claims, causes of action, damages, or judgments arising out of publishing your submission.
- Award winners retain all rights to their work.
- Award winners will be notified at the email, phone, or address provided with the entry. The winners must respond within ten (10) days of the notification. Failure to respond to the notification may cause the author to lose his/her place in the contest and the prize to be offered to the next highest scoring submission.
- Lewis County Writers Guild reserves the right to cancel this contest if there are insufficient entries or an insufficient number of entries deemed worthy of awarding a prize (in which case, entry fees minus PayPal fees will be refunded.)
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- This offer is void where prohibited by law.
Best of luck!
2020 LCWG Short Story Award Entry Form