Meeting notes from 9/20/2013:
Meetings this year: The third Friday of the months September through June
5:00—5:45 Social and dinner time (participants are encouraged to buy snacks or dinner to support the Matrix which does not charge a facility fee).
Programs are from 5:45 to 7:45. On occasion, the program time will extend into the evening for spoken word events (arranged with Matrix when there is not a concert that night).
Dues are $2 for each attended event, unless modified.
Officers were elected:
Vice President–Doyle McKim
Program coordinator—Holly St. Clair (hopefully with a lot of assistance from the group to step up and coordinate their favorite topics).
It was determined that we have about $200 to start the year(including dues from tonight
Poster Maker—Pat Longley
Please e-mail flyer’s to Jan, Amy F, Marcia and Holly 3 weeks in advance so they can print and distribute them.
Short story Contest coordinator—Doyle McKim
Details to follow.
Brainstorm of possible programs:
- Amy Flugel has already come up with a great concept for our October meeting entitled:
Writing Avenues: Different ways to get your Work to the Masses.
Which will include different creative avenues for writing: Nano, Fanfiction, Blogs, journals, magazines, etc.
Coordinator: Amy Flugel.
- Meeting/get together of other writing groups and individual writers in Lewis County.
Holly will contact a Toledo author named Allen Dionne – he has published four books on Amazon.
Please submit ideas for this meeting.
- Planning/work meeting for developing/printing an anthology of guild writers’ works – possibly from the short story contest.
- Book Club—Please respond to an email sent out to you about our October meeting with a recommendation for a book the whole group can read and then discuss
Coordinator: Marcia – could you do this?
- Read from your favorite author.
- Read from your own work.
Perhaps including book releases, marathon reads as a marketing strategy, including a well-known published author. These presentations could perhaps occur AFTER a regular meeting, open to the public, etc.
Please submit ideas.
- Doyle will lead one of the workshops.
- We will ask Amy Knepper if she would like to present.
- Holly will do a character workshop
- A paid presenter.
Brian Willis (or some other presenter/s?) on what subject?
Please leave comments here about what you would like to see: Memoire, Speculative fiction, dialog, mystery, satire, or other?